Documentation & Access

One of the main differences between high school and college is that students in college must self-identify and seek services for a disability. In compliance with section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act, it becomes the student’s responsibility to present appropriate documentation of a disability to the Director of Accessibility Resources. All documentation is secure and kept confidential.

Getting Started

The first step is to register with the Accessibility Resources/Disability Services office and schedule an intake interview. When your registration is received you will be contacted to set up an intake interview. This process should be completed upon acceptance to the university in order to secure accommodations in a timely manner. We cannot make accommodations retroactively. Registering and having accommodations in place before the first semester begins will produce the best opportunity for success.


Documentation must be provided by the primary medical professional for all physical and neurological diagnoses. These professionals would include neurologist, audiologist, ophthalmologist, psychiatrist, or other medical specialist.

All diagnoses listed in the DSM-5 can be assessed and documented by any licensed mental health service provider to include LPC, LCSW, psychologist, or psychiatrist.

Documentation shall include:

  • Student name & date of birth
  • Diagnosis
  • Date of Diagnosis
  • Date of last visit
  • Assessment tools used for diagnosis and interpretation of results
  • Current active treatment plan
  • Prognosis for improvement
  • Limitations and recommendations prescribed for the student
  • Name, signature, credentials, address and telephone number of certifying provider

Freshmen of traditional age will also be required to provide a copy of their most recent Individual Education Plan from high school.

Should these documents not be available please contact our office for temporary accommodations while the documentation is located or for further evaluation. Documentation must be on file in the Accessibility Resources/Disability Services Office by the end of the student’s first semester at Methodist University to continue to qualify for accommodations.

All first year students are encouraged to take advantage of the accommodations that they qualify for. There are many adjustments to be made in this new environment. We want to help with those adjustments to ensure future success!

Requests for Specific Accommodations

Students who qualify for texts in alternative format should make this request to the Accessibility Resources/Disability Services Office three weeks prior to the beginning of classes if possible. These texts can take two to three weeks to arrive once they are ordered.

Residential students who qualify for a single room or fully accessible room and wish to request this accommodation must make this request to the Residential Life Office prior to June 1st of the academic year to be accommodated. All requests made on or after June 1st or during the academic year will be placed on a waiting list until a room becomes available. Single room charges apply once the accommodation has been made.

Students who qualify to take exams with extended time and/or a reduced distraction environment must follow the procedure described under Access and Accommodations.